Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Coming Apart
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith
- Coming Apart
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast April-May 1990.
Hedrick Smith is chief correspondent on this production which focuses on the cultural, economic and political issues in the Soviet Union today. A behind-the-scenes look at a complex country puts today’s news into the context of larger forces- social, economic, cultural and demographic- that shape the USSR’s identity and destiny. Series release date: 4/30/1990
- Program Description
This final episode travels over 10,000 miles inside the Soviet Union to film the mounting Nationalist unrest that threatens to derail Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev’s reforms. Reawakened culturally by glasnost and provoked by economic and social hardships, national groups in the far-flung Soviet Republics are challenging central control with the resurgence of religious movements, ethnic rivalries and even demands for independence.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Global Affairs
- Smith, Martin (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Coming Apart,” 04/16/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_36C1E724B6D240C787C0C15C494FDFB9.
- MLA: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Coming Apart.” 04/16/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_36C1E724B6D240C787C0C15C494FDFB9>.
- APA: Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Coming Apart. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_36C1E724B6D240C787C0C15C494FDFB9