Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury High School principal
Charles Ray, the Headmaster of Roxbury High School, talking to students, parents and faculty members in the offices of Roxbury High School. Pam Bullard interviews Ray in the administrative offices of the school. Ray talks about how the school has changed since the beginning of school desegregation in 1974. He notes that white attendance is still low, but that it is improving. Ray describes the school's bilingual program, and the academic programs set up at the school in conjunction with Harvard University. He says that many students from Roxbury High School received college scholarships last year, and discusses their college opportunities. Ray talks about the atmosphere at the school, and the close relationships between the students and the faculty. He notes that very few students transfer out of the school. He adds that most students feel comfortable at Roxbury High School. Ray says that he tries to learn the names of every student in the school. Ray talks about the challenges of urban education. He says that he encourages pregnant students to remain in school as long as possible. Ray says that he would like to see a program set up to allow students to bring their children to school with them. Ray describes the school's building and facilities. Ray tells Bullard that it is important to treat each student with respect.
- Ten O'Clock News
Roxbury High School principal
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- Harvard University
- School improvement programs
- School integration
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury High School principal,” 09/13/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_368149C7716648DAACA7D460F3E669BE.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury High School principal.” 09/13/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_368149C7716648DAACA7D460F3E669BE>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury High School principal. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_368149C7716648DAACA7D460F3E669BE