Ten O'Clock News; Dr. Kenneth Clark
Carmen Fields interviews Dr. Kenneth Clark (psychologist). Fields reports that Clark and his Mamie Phipps Clark (psychologist) performed studies using dolls to gauge ego and self-esteem in young African American children. Fields notes that the Clarks' research influenced the Supreme Court's 1953 landmark decision on school desegregation. Clark talks about his research, saying that African American children rejected the brown dolls because they had internalized society's negative stereotypes of African Americans. Clark discusses the use of the study by NAACP lawyers in the 1953 school desegregation case. Clark talks about the importance of school desegregation and the need for white and African American children to grow up with self-respect and respect for others. He says that children must be taught to act humanely toward others. Fields' report includes footage from the 1959 film Imitation of Life and footage from Eyes on the Prize. Fields' report also includes footage of school desegregation in South Boston and shots of dolls. Sound cuts out at the very end of the video.
- Ten O'Clock News
Dr. Kenneth Clark
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Clark, Kenneth Bancroft, 1914-2005
- Race relations
- Busing for school integration
- School integration
- United States. Supreme Court
- African Americans -- Race identity
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Clark, Kenneth Bancroft, 1914-2005 (Interviewee)
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Dr. Kenneth Clark,” 10/18/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 22, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35EE18D7E09041BDAA4F80499717FD79.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Dr. Kenneth Clark.” 10/18/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 22, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35EE18D7E09041BDAA4F80499717FD79>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Dr. Kenneth Clark. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35EE18D7E09041BDAA4F80499717FD79