Ten O'Clock News; Boston EEOC office opens
Thomas Saltonstall (Area Director, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) speaks at a press conference to mark the opening of a Boston office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Saltonstall introduces Robert Williams (regional attorney for the EEOC). Saltonstall discusses the EEOC's commitment to the elimination of race discrimination in employment and to equal opportunities for women, older workers and minorities; he announces the initiatives planned by the EEOC to enforce federal anti-discrimination laws. Saltonstall says that the EEOC will focus on voluntary compliance. Saltonstall discusses statistics illustrating the underrepresentation, or "opportunity gap," in the employment of women in management and of minorities in the city's overall work force. Saltonstall presents statistics illustrating the "opportunity gap" for minorities in the printing/publishing industry, the communications industry, investment companies, brokerage firms, and retail stores. Saltonstall talks about the concentration of Boston's minority workers in lower-paying jobs. Tape 1 of 2
- Ten O'Clock News
Boston EEOC office opens
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Civil rights
- Employment policy
- United States. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Race relations
- African Americans -- Employment
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston EEOC office opens,” 01/19/1984, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35D6DE24454B45759C838C5046A2BC91.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston EEOC office opens.” 01/19/1984. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35D6DE24454B45759C838C5046A2BC91>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Boston EEOC office opens. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35D6DE24454B45759C838C5046A2BC91