Martha Speaks; Firedog Martha; Martha’s Pickle
MSPE 108 (HD) Media Operations Center PBS 3422
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Firedog Martha; Martha’s Pickle
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Firedog Martha Martha wants to be a firehouse dog, just like her favorite book, Firehouse Freddie. But somehow all the things Freddie makes look so easy-climbing ladders, carrying hoses-aren't as easy for a real dog to do. Will Martha give up on her dream?
Vocabulary: (E) reality, fantasy, fiction, imagine, tale, dispatcher
(I) story, real, fact(s), pretend, actually
Martha’s Pickle Have giant alien pickles invaded Wagstaff City? Truman saw something just like it in a movie, but he never saw the ending. Now they're racing the clock to figure out how to defeat the aliens, before they're really in a pickle!
Vocabulary: (E) bizarre, odd, normal, farfetched, rumor, unusual
(I) weird, wacky, ordinary, strange, report
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Firedog Martha; Martha’s Pickle,” 09/13/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 27, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35249266EA1243849AE5E4613EE02A45.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Firedog Martha; Martha’s Pickle.” 09/13/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 27, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35249266EA1243849AE5E4613EE02A45>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Firedog Martha; Martha’s Pickle. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_35249266EA1243849AE5E4613EE02A45