Ten O'Clock News; Future roles for Jackson and Dukakis
Meg Vaillancourt reports on the tight race between candidates Michael Dukakis and Jesse Jackson for the Democratic nomination for the presidency. Vaillancourt notes that Jackson is still campaigning for the nomination; she adds that Dukakis needs to win 70% of the remaining delegates to win the nomination outright. Vaillancourt reports that Jackson has done well in the primary elections and has registered voters to vote in the Democratic primaries. Vaillancourt reports that some Democrats would like to see Jackson as Dukakis's running mate. Vaillancourt's report includes footage from an interview with Dukakis. Dukakis says that he must win the nomination before deciding on a running mate. Vaillancourt interviews Jack Beatty (Atlantic Monthly), Paul Tsongas (former US Senator), Byron Rushing (State Representative) and Robert Kuttner (author, "The Life of the Party) about Jackson's role in the Democratic Party and his role in a Dukakis administration. They discuss Jackson as a potential running mate or cabinet member. Kuttner suggests that Jackson could recruit Mario Cuomo (Governor of New York) as a candidate by offering to be his running mate. Vaillancourt reports that both candidates are focused on campaigning. She notes that the Democratic convention is three months away. Vaillancourt's report is accompanied by footage of Jackson campaigning and by footage of Dukakis campaigning.
- Ten O'Clock News
Future roles for Jackson and Dukakis
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Tsongas, Paul
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Political campaigns
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Rushing, Byron
- African American politicians
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- News Report
- Rushing, Byron (Interviewee)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Interviewee)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Tsongas, Paul (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Future roles for Jackson and Dukakis,” 04/07/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_31C03A5AD95145A19B6BBCA951E7A28A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Future roles for Jackson and Dukakis.” 04/07/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_31C03A5AD95145A19B6BBCA951E7A28A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Future roles for Jackson and Dukakis. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_31C03A5AD95145A19B6BBCA951E7A28A