Africans In America; Brotherly Love (1776-1834); Interview with Catherine Brekus, 1996
Part of Africans in America.
Catherine Brekus is interviewed about the religious life and autobiography of Jarena Lee, the first woman authorized to preach in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Africans In America
- Brotherly Love (1776-1834)
- Program Number
Interview with Catherine Brekus, 1996
- Series Description
Broadcast: October 1998 This series explores the central paradox that is at the heart of the American story: a democracy that declared all men equal but enslaved and oppressed one people to provide independence and prosperity to another. The series opens in the 16th century on Africa's Gold Coast with the European and African trade, and ends on the eve of the American Civil War in 1861. Africans in America examines the economic and intellectual foundations of slavery in America and the global economy that prospered from it. The series reveals how the presence of African people and their struggle for freedom transformed America. Series release date: 10/1998
- Program Description
103 Brotherly Love (1776-1834)--Explores the first fifty years of the new nation. In Philadelphia, freedmen and fugitive slaves push the country to live up to the promises made in its Constitution. But with the invention of the cotton gin, slavery expands into America's western frontier, and a revolution in Haiti inspires slave rebellions throughout the southern United States. Producer: Jacquie Jones
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race and Ethnicity
- Smith, Llewellyn (Series Producer)
- Brekus, Catherine (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “Africans In America; Brotherly Love (1776-1834); Interview with Catherine Brekus, 1996,” 11/14/1996, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 5, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3025C1E3A4A146E59B55EF5E11847782.
- MLA: “Africans In America; Brotherly Love (1776-1834); Interview with Catherine Brekus, 1996.” 11/14/1996. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 5, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3025C1E3A4A146E59B55EF5E11847782>.
- APA: Africans In America; Brotherly Love (1776-1834); Interview with Catherine Brekus, 1996. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3025C1E3A4A146E59B55EF5E11847782