Ten O'Clock News; Black female doctors
Dr. Gloria White-Hammond (pediatrician) examines a young Latina child in an examining room. The child cries and White-Hammond comforts her, speaking in English and in Spanish. White-Hammond speaks to the child's mother about treatments for the child. White-Hammond examines the child with a stethoscope. Interview with White-Hammond about a program designed to increase the number of African American physicians across the nation. She says that medical schools lack the financial, academic and other kinds of support necessary to retain some students. She discusses the need for more minority physicians, who bring a "sensitivity" to the treatment of minority patients. Video cuts out and then comes back with stills of infographics on new Boston University medical school program and minority doctors.
- Ten O'Clock News
Black female doctors
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Medical care
- Boston University
- African American physicians
- Universities and colleges
- News Report
- Crossley, Callie (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Black female doctors,” 06/28/1984, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 13, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3015791AA5284C1496D8C1440DDE70F5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Black female doctors.” 06/28/1984. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 13, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3015791AA5284C1496D8C1440DDE70F5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Black female doctors. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3015791AA5284C1496D8C1440DDE70F5