Ten O'Clock News; Search on sight lawsuit
Jan von Mehren reports that the Massachusetts Civil Liberties Union has filed a class-action lawsuit against the Boston Police Department on behalf of minority youth in Mattapan, Roxbury, and Dorchester. Von Mehren notes that the lawsuit accuses the Police Department of engaging in unreasonable search and seizure practices. Von Mehren's reports includes footage from a press conference with John Roberts (Massachusetts Civil Liberties Union), Bill Owens (State Senator), Caroline Marshall (mother of plaintiff), and Margaret Burnham (attorney). Roberts says that statements by the Boston Police Department provoked the lawsuit. Marshall and Burnham speak out against unreasonable police practices. Von Mehren quotes Paul Evans (Commissioner, Boston Police Department) as saying that the police are not violating anyone's Constitutional rights. Von Mehren reports that many students at English High School support the lawsuit. Von Mehren interviews English High School students about their experiences with police officers.
- Ten O'Clock News
Search on sight lawsuit
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Discrimination in law enforcement
- Press conferences
- Civil rights
- Owens, Bill, 1937-
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Actions and defenses
- Urban youth
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Search on sight lawsuit,” 11/21/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 15, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E8AA6D128C2411DAF689F19DA2F507A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Search on sight lawsuit.” 11/21/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 15, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E8AA6D128C2411DAF689F19DA2F507A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Search on sight lawsuit. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E8AA6D128C2411DAF689F19DA2F507A