Ten O'Clock News; Southwest corridor project
Three interviews on southwest corridor mass transit and development project. Areas affected include the South End, Roxbury Crossing, and Jamaica Plain. Construction will create numerous jobs and have an affirmative action goal with a 30% minority set-aside. $391 million (80% federal funds) will be for orange line and railroad relocation; plus an arterial street, community college, housing, and industrial park will make for at least a half billion dollar project. Residents are concerned about impact of noise and disruption in the adjacent neighborhoods, equitable employment opportunities, and environmental issues. Community groups want to be sure the new road and transit routes do not split the surrounding areas along socioeconomic lines.
- Ten O'Clock News
Southwest corridor project
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
- Construction industry
- City planning
- Boston (Mass.)
- Jamaica Plain (Boston, Mass.)
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- South End (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Curwood, Steve (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Southwest corridor project,” 07/15/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E8631CA0B3E4584967BE4BB8714ECA1.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Southwest corridor project.” 07/15/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E8631CA0B3E4584967BE4BB8714ECA1>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Southwest corridor project. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E8631CA0B3E4584967BE4BB8714ECA1