Ten O'Clock News; Kathleen Sullivan interview, reel 3
Pam Bullard interviews Kathleen Sullivan (Boston School Committee) about the quality of education in Boston. Sullivan says that she is frustrated because Boston schools have not improved since court-ordered desegregation began in 1974. Sullivan calls Arthur Garrity (federal judge) a "crazy judge." Sullivan says that the desegregation plans since 1974 have been disruptive. She says that neither African American nor white students have benefitted from school desegregation; that students should not be assigned to different schools each year. Sullivan and her assistant discuss Judge Garrity's latest order concerning the Boston schools. Bullard explains to Sullivan that she is putting together a piece which contrasts Sullivan's views on schools and court-ordered desegregation with the views of African American leader Melnea Cass
- Ten O'Clock News
Kathleen Sullivan interview, reel 3
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race relations
- School boards
- School integration
- Cass, Melnea A. (Melnea Agnes), 1896-1978
- Garrity, W. Arthur (Wendell Arthur), 1920-1999
- School management and organization
- Busing for school integration
- Alioto, Kathleen Sullivan
- News Report
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Alioto, Kathleen Sullivan (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Kathleen Sullivan interview, reel 3,” 09/28/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E2635A32D9E4BB2B678D5229A0331F2.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Kathleen Sullivan interview, reel 3.” 09/28/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E2635A32D9E4BB2B678D5229A0331F2>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Kathleen Sullivan interview, reel 3. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E2635A32D9E4BB2B678D5229A0331F2