Ten O'Clock News; No campus activism
Jan von Mehren reports on Henry Hampton's address to students at Boston University. Von Mehren notes that Hampton talked about the importance of campus activism and civil rights. Von Mehren's report includes footage of Hampton speaking to the student audience. Hampton encourage students to make demands on the university administration. Pearl Shelton (community activist) addresses the students from the audience. She encourages them to become involved in the struggle for change in society. Von Mehren's report also includes footage of Rosa Moreno (Boston University law student) and Derek Davis (Boston University law student) talking about the lack of activism on college campuses. Von Mehren discusses the role of campus activism in the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Von Mehren's report includes footage from Eyes on the Prize of Diane Nash (civil rights activist). This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: K.C. Jones of the Boston Celtics reacts to racist remarks made by Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder on national television Reactions to comments by Jimmy "the Greek"
- Ten O'Clock News
No campus activism
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Students -- Political activity
- Hampton, Henry, 1940-1998
- Boston University
- African American students
- Universities and colleges
- Civil rights
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Hampton, Henry, 1940-1998 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; No campus activism,” 01/18/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2DC458730CB8454E84BE774E0EDE1867.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; No campus activism.” 01/18/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2DC458730CB8454E84BE774E0EDE1867>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; No campus activism. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2DC458730CB8454E84BE774E0EDE1867