Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Looking for Perestroika
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith
- Looking for Perestroika
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast April-May 1990.
Hedrick Smith is chief correspondent on this production which focuses on the cultural, economic and political issues in the Soviet Union today. A behind-the-scenes look at a complex country puts today’s news into the context of larger forces- social, economic, cultural and demographic- that shape the USSR’s identity and destiny. Series release date: 4/30/1990
- Program Description
The third program of the series explores the promise and illusion of perestroika, where plans for economic reform are paralyzed by an overwhelming fear of loss of political power. Conversations with state managers of agriculture and industry, whose job it is to carry out government programs, Russian workers who consider themselves victims of the policies of the past, and emerging Soviet capitalistic entrepreneurs reveal widely divergent attitudes towards economic reform.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Global Affairs
- Smith, Martin (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Looking for Perestroika,” 03/15/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2DC3B643315244D7A1D901AD8A7B1071.
- MLA: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Looking for Perestroika.” 03/15/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2DC3B643315244D7A1D901AD8A7B1071>.
- APA: Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Looking for Perestroika. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2DC3B643315244D7A1D901AD8A7B1071