Korea: The Unknown War; There Is No Substitute for Victory
** 3 HR TIME CODE - PBS LENGTH **
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Korea: The Unknown War
- There Is No Substitute for Victory
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast Nov. 12-14, 1990
This series spans the history of the Korean War with a look at its origins and legacies. The programs combine archival material with the testimony of key eyewitnesses and present new evidence regarding the controversial aspects of the war. The story of a "police action" that grew into a multinational war claiming 34,000 US casualties - in the first and only confrontation between forces of the United Nations and the Communist bloc. Episode titles: 101: Many Roads to War," 102: An Arrogant Display of Strength," 103: "There is No Substitute for Victory," 104: "An Entirely New War," 105: "The Battle for Minds," 106: "Armed Truce." Series release date: 11/12/1990
- Program Description
On Sept. 15, 1950, a detachment of Marines stormed onto the island of Wolmi-do in the Korean harbor of Inchon. Their landing marked the execution of an audacious strategic gamble by General MacArthur, undertaken despite grave misgivings among the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Washington. Program follows the dramatic turnaround at Inchon and ends with the disastrous impact of the Communist Chinese intervention in November 1950.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- War and Conflict
- Global Affairs
- Hoyt, Austin (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Korea: The Unknown War; There Is No Substitute for Victory,” 02/15/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2D7979A5DFC24C549E6C3CBA4C40AD7F.
- MLA: “Korea: The Unknown War; There Is No Substitute for Victory.” 02/15/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2D7979A5DFC24C549E6C3CBA4C40AD7F>.
- APA: Korea: The Unknown War; There Is No Substitute for Victory. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2D7979A5DFC24C549E6C3CBA4C40AD7F