Ten O'Clock News; Housing discrimination settlement
Jan von Mehren reports that the city of Boston and the NAACP signed a $3 million settlement to end litigation about the city's formerly discriminatory public housing policy. Von Mehren reports that 2,000 minority families will be eligible for payments of $1,000 to $3,000 under the suit. Von Mehren's reports includes footage of a mayor Ray Flynn, Joseph Tauro (federal judge) and Benjamin Hooks (Executive Director, NAACP) at a press conference to announce the settlement. The three men shake hands and make positive statements about the settlement. Von Mehren report that African American families began moving into formerly white housing projects last summer, despite opposition from South Boston residents. Von Mehren's report includes footage of Flynn at a community meeting in South Boston in 1988. The audience jeers at him as he approaches the stage. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Marcus Jones reports that Michael Jackson (pop singer) has never played a concert at Sullivan Stadium
- Ten O'Clock News
Housing discrimination settlement
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Actions and defenses
- Press conferences
- Public housing
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Boston Housing Authority
- Hooks, Benjamin L. (Benjamin Lawson), 1925-2010
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- News Report
- Hooks, Benjamin L. (Benjamin Lawson), 1925-2010 (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Housing discrimination settlement,” 10/04/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 1, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2D6811B78939437BA91DBE43AE43B191.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Housing discrimination settlement.” 10/04/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 1, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2D6811B78939437BA91DBE43AE43B191>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Housing discrimination settlement. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2D6811B78939437BA91DBE43AE43B191