Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract in jeopardy
Meg Vaillancourt reports that the Boston School Committee is deeply divided over whether to renew the contract of superintendent Laval Wilson. Committee members discuss Wilson's contract renewal at a School Committee meeting. Committee member John O'Bryant says that he refuses to watch Wilson be lynched by members of the Committee who do not respect his professionalism. Vaillancourt reviews Wilson's record as superintendent. She speculates on how each member of the Committee will vote and quotes Committee member John Nucci as saying that Wilson's prospects look "gloomy." Vaillancourt reports accusations that Mayor Ray Flynn has been lobbying against Wilson. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Marcus Jones reports on the debate over the terms "black" and "African American"
- Ten O'Clock News
Wilson's contract in jeopardy
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- School boards
- Race relations
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- School superintendents
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract in jeopardy,” 02/15/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2C6EB1DE906843D29BF0554B87A3CC6C.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract in jeopardy.” 02/15/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2C6EB1DE906843D29BF0554B87A3CC6C>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract in jeopardy. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2C6EB1DE906843D29BF0554B87A3CC6C