La Plaza; Latino Jews: Journey to the Americas
LP Program 1902: Latino Jews: Journey to America Part I, English Version
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Latino Jews: Journey to the Americas
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Broadcast in two parts: January 11 and 18, 1997. This first program examines the journey of Eastern European Jews to Latin America. Through family histories and personal anecdotes, Latino Jews tells of Jews’ assimilation and success in the largely Catholic countries of Latin America
Upon their arrival to the US, the identity of Latino Jews has been challenged: they are Latinos first, Jews second. Latino Jews tells the story of culture, identity, and assimilation of several Latino Jews living in Massachussetts.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Latino Jews: Journey to the Americas,” 01/07/1997, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 28, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2BFC7E381259409798EE6C31D89BFCF7.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Latino Jews: Journey to the Americas.” 01/07/1997. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 28, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2BFC7E381259409798EE6C31D89BFCF7>.
- APA: La Plaza; Latino Jews: Journey to the Americas. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2BFC7E381259409798EE6C31D89BFCF7