Martha Speaks; Martha Smells; Martha Hears
MSPE 135 HD 28:46 6/13/09 DB/MR5 Media Operations Center PBS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha Smells; Martha Hears
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Martha Smells Martha is secretly trapped inside Pablum and Weaselgraft's hideout. She manages to call Helen and tell her how to get there by smell. Can Helen and TD follow her scent map and uncover Weaselgraft and Pablum's lair?
Vocabulary: (E) aroma, fragrance, scent, stench, reek
(I) smell, stink, whiff, odor
Martha Hears For the same story from a different sensory perspective, Martha once again finds herself trapped in Weaselgraft and Pablum's lair, but this time she leads Helen and TD to their hideout by describing what she hears. It sounded like a good idea. . . .
Vocabulary: (E) blaring, clanging, creak, rumble, audio
(I) noise, listen, siren, bell, ears
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha Smells; Martha Hears,” 06/13/2009, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 10, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2B97EA7FE3CB43E39FC47B30B1129EFE.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha Smells; Martha Hears.” 06/13/2009. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 10, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2B97EA7FE3CB43E39FC47B30B1129EFE>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha Smells; Martha Hears. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2B97EA7FE3CB43E39FC47B30B1129EFE