Ten O'Clock News; Mandela, Massachusetts
Marcus Jones reports that the Greater Roxbury Incorporation Project (GRIP) has put forth a plan to create a new city from Boston's minority neighborhoods. Jones notes that the new municipality would be named Mandela, in honor of jailed South African leader Nelson Mandela. Jones reports that African American community leaders are divided in their support for the referendum question on Mandela, Massachusetts. Jones adds that the referendum question will be on the ballot in the fall. Jones' report includes footage from a press conference in front of the Massachusetts State House with Andrew Jones (GRIP), Byron Rushing (State Representative) and Royal Bolling, Jr. (Mandela supporter). Rushing and Jones speak out in favor of Mandela. Jones report also includes footage of Royal Bolling, Sr. (state senator) speaking out against Mandela. Jones reports that Ray Flynn (Mayor of Boston) is opposed to the creation of Mandela. Jones speculates about the probable boundaries of the proposed city. Jones interviews people on the street about their support of Mandela. Jones' report includes footage of the elevated train tracks along Washington Street in Roxbury. A rap song about Mandela, Massachusetts accompanies parts of the story.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Race relations
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- African American neighborhoods
- Rushing, Byron
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002 (Speaker)
- Rushing, Byron (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Mandela, Massachusetts,” 07/03/1986, GBH Archives, accessed December 3, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2B4D5277755F4E5BAB9BBFFF715736EF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Mandela, Massachusetts.” 07/03/1986. GBH Archives. Web. December 3, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2B4D5277755F4E5BAB9BBFFF715736EF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Mandela, Massachusetts. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2B4D5277755F4E5BAB9BBFFF715736EF