Eyes on the Prize; Fighting Back (1957-1962)
DVS on Channel 2 Run Time : 58:25 # 29969
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Eyes on the Prize
- Fighting Back (1957-1962)
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast in 1987
Produced by Blackside, Eyes on the Prize tells the definitive story of the civil rights era from the point of view of the ordinary men and women whose extraordinary actions launched a movement that changed the fabric of American life, and embodied a struggle whose reverberations continue to be felt today.
Through contemporary interviews and historical footage, Eyes on the Prize traces the civil rights movement from the Montgomery bus boycott to the Voting Rights Act; from early acts of individual courage through the flowering of a mass movement and its eventual split into factions. Julian Bond, political leader and civil rights activist, narrates. Series release date: 1987
- Program Description
Broadcast in 1987
States' rights loyalists and federal authorities collide in the 1957 battle to integrate Little Rock's Central High School, and again in James Meredith's 1962 challenge to segregation at the University of Mississippi. Both times, a Southern governor squares off with a U.S. president, violence erupts -- and integration is carried out.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Hampton, Henry (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Eyes on the Prize; Fighting Back (1957-1962),” 10/01/1993, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 25, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A9B3A2DA9484DC4BAFB209DCB83299F.
- MLA: “Eyes on the Prize; Fighting Back (1957-1962).” 10/01/1993. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 25, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A9B3A2DA9484DC4BAFB209DCB83299F>.
- APA: Eyes on the Prize; Fighting Back (1957-1962). Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A9B3A2DA9484DC4BAFB209DCB83299F