Alive From Off Center; Myth of Modern Dance, The
Part of New Television Workshop.
CHOREOGRAPHER: DOUGLAS DUNN CHARLES ATLAS Part of NTW Master Dubbing: 8/98
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Alive From Off Center
- Myth of Modern Dance, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
"Alive From Off Center" was established in 1985 as a production of KTCA (St. Paul - Minneapolis) . The show featured independent works by artists in a variety of media. Its showcase format was similar to the Workshop's "New Television" series. At some point the series changed its name to "ALIVE TV." Many works created by or for the Workshop were also shown on "Alive From Off Center." Additionally, some Workshop produced pieces were coproduced and/or commissioned by KTCA specifically for the series. Susan Dowling served as Executive Producer for these programs. Series release date: 1985
- Program Description
Occasionally reciting text from “The Myth of Human Evolution,” by Niles Eldridge and Ian Tattersall, Dunn humorously calls into question the notion of a linear and sequential development of dance forms. The opening scene finds him emerging from a pile of primordial ooze, eventually approximating the hunched posture of the predecessor of man. Dunn is pictured executing interpretations of various dance forms, from contemporary dance to French court dances to Hawaiian hula dancing. These interpretations appear tongue-in-cheek, as all reflect Dunn’s idiosyncratic movement style. Dunn’s movements are executed against brightly colored electronic backgrounds.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Modern dance
- Dunn, Douglas, 1942- ()
- Charles Atlas (Director)
- Susan Dowling (Executive Producer)
- Chicago: “Alive From Off Center; Myth of Modern Dance, The,” 03/30/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A929108EC314C18BFD229831519DB77.
- MLA: “Alive From Off Center; Myth of Modern Dance, The.” 03/30/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A929108EC314C18BFD229831519DB77>.
- APA: Alive From Off Center; Myth of Modern Dance, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A929108EC314C18BFD229831519DB77