Ten O'Clock News; South Boston housing project
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Mayor Ray Flynn has pledged to integrate public housing projects in South Boston by next year. Currently there are no African American families among the 2400 families living in the Old Colony Housing Project in South Boston. Interviews with South Boston housing project residents talking about their opposition to integration. Residents say that the quality of life will decline if African American families move into the project. Other residents say that violence will erupt if the projects are integrated. Interview with Flynn, who says that the housing projects will be integrated in a responsible manner. He talks about integration of public housing projects in Charlestown. Civil rights advocates accuse the Boston Housing Authority (BHA) of ignoring non-white families on the waiting list for apartments in South Boston projects. Interview with Alex Rodriguez of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, who says that the BHA's housing policies are illegal. Rodriguez threatens to take action against the city. Vaillancourt reports that the pace of integration in the housing projects has been slow. Interview with an African American laborer who says that he would not mind moving into a housing project in South Boston. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Hope Kelly reviews the history of public housing in Boston
- Ten O'Clock News
South Boston housing project
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Race relations
- Boston Housing Authority
- Public housing
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Interviewee)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston housing project,” 10/29/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 17, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A8D1CF71CB948A3B5B9C13AA13F2098.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston housing project.” 10/29/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 17, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A8D1CF71CB948A3B5B9C13AA13F2098>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; South Boston housing project. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A8D1CF71CB948A3B5B9C13AA13F2098