American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 2 of 4
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Renehan talks about Fugitive slave law - final proof constitution flawed, Fugitive slave law - abolitionists lobby for secession, Northern secession - treatment for cancer is amputation, Non - violence - no longer a practical solution, Fugitive slave law - demands violence, Higginson, John Brown in court, Douglass - John Brown told him slavery wouldn't end w/out bloodbath, Burns/Higginson - rescues spontaneous acts of violence, Fugitive slave law - made "a" John Brown inevitable, North Elba - dream, left for Kansas to be at focal point, Kansas - revitalizes John Brown's sense of duty, Kansas - birth of Messianic Brown, Kansas - Brown's station, desolate, awful, poverty stricken, Kansas - John Brown responding to violence, following God , Failure - felt inadequate, frustrated, Kansas - eruption against slavery and his own failure
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 2 of 4
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Renehan, Edward J. (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 2 of 4,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 8, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A83A63A225B44E08E03340B254FDF73.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 2 of 4.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 8, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A83A63A225B44E08E03340B254FDF73>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 2 of 4. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2A83A63A225B44E08E03340B254FDF73