Ten O'Clock News; Northeastern honors Nelson Mandela
Marcus Jones reports on Northeastern University's observation of the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. Jones notes that a ceremony commemorating King's life was held at the university. Jones' report includes footage from the ceremony. Sonia Sanchez (poet and teacher) talks about King. Jones' report also includes footage of King. Susan Sullivan (Northeastern Law student) makes the announcement that the university is awarding an honorary law degree to Nelson Mandela. Interviews with Daniel Givelber (Dean, Northeastern University School of Law) and Sullivan about the decision to award a degree to Mandela. Jones notes that the university trustees overturned a policy which required recipients of degrees to pick them up in person. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: David Scondras, Charles Yancey and Ray Flynn: Boston City Council makes fair housing policy
- Ten O'Clock News
Northeastern honors Nelson Mandela
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Mandela, Nelson, 1918-
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Rites and ceremonies
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Universities and colleges
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Northeastern honors Nelson Mandela,” 01/14/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_29E4BE3D6F094608A39EA04A4BF47C8C.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Northeastern honors Nelson Mandela.” 01/14/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_29E4BE3D6F094608A39EA04A4BF47C8C>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Northeastern honors Nelson Mandela. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_29E4BE3D6F094608A39EA04A4BF47C8C