Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan
Christy George reports on the final redistricting plan for legislative districts of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. State Rep. James Brett drew up an original plan that was challenged by the Massachusetts Republican Party and by the Black Political Task Force. Both groups are fighting for more representation in the legislature. Interviews with State Rep. Byron Rushing and Lloyd King of the Black Political Task Force. Rushing claims a victory for the Black Political Task Force. George discusses whether the new redistricting plan will result in a greater number of Republican and African American representatives. George reports that the Republican Party is worried that Republican challengers will not have enough time to plot campaigns in new districts. Interview with State House Minority Leader Stephen Pierce. Interview with Rep. Brett, who talks about the redistricting plan. Footage from House chambers, including Brett explaining the new plan to his colleagues and Speaker of the House George Keverian, who addresses the House and says, "The law is an ass."
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Rushing, Byron
- Political campaigns
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854-)
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- Brett, James T., 1949-
- Election law
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Rushing, Byron (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009 (Speaker)
- Brett, James T., 1949- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan,” 03/31/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 26, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_29852CECBAE74CB096E399B46E274928.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan.” 03/31/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 26, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_29852CECBAE74CB096E399B46E274928>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_29852CECBAE74CB096E399B46E274928