Ten O'Clock News; Episcopalian bishop
Hope Kelly reports that Barbara Harris (Bishop-elect) has been elected as the first female African American Bishop in the Episcopal Church. She notes that Harris' election to Bishop has divided the members of the Church. Harris held a press conference today. Kelly reports that Harris downplayed issues of race and gender, but that questioners were focused on those topics. David Johnson (Episcopal Church official) is also present. Harris talks about changes in the Episcopal Church and notes that many members are celebrating her election. Harris says that her election is not a "symbol or token." She also answers questions about racism in Boston and in the US. Kelly interviews Reverend Mary Glasspool (Boston rector), Charles Poindexter (Philadelphia rector), and Byron Rushing (State Representative) about the election of Harris to Bishop. All three praise Harris and her qualifications to be Bishop. Following the edited story is additional footage of Harris and Johnson at the press conference.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Press conferences
- Rushing, Byron
- African American religious leaders
- Race relations
- African American women
- News Report
- Rushing, Byron (Interviewee)
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Episcopalian bishop,” 09/27/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 27, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28CC6F7A7D4A481092F46E0D8EF5ACD7.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Episcopalian bishop.” 09/27/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 27, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28CC6F7A7D4A481092F46E0D8EF5ACD7>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Episcopalian bishop. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28CC6F7A7D4A481092F46E0D8EF5ACD7