Evening Compass, The; Boston Mayoral Debate; Boston Mayoral Debate
Boston mayoral debate from the 1975 campaign. 1975 mayoral campaign debate in WGBH studio, moderated by Pam Bullard, Ed Baumeister, and Gary Griffith, between Mayor Kevin White, Robert Gibbons, Senator Joseph Timilty, and Norman Oliver. Main topic is busing for school integration. Timilty believes that busing is a waste of resources; Gibbons believes that busing was forced by government and should be stopped. Discussion of budget: White is attacked for his handling of state funds. Timilty claims Boston is on verge of bankruptcy. White claims that he has tried to take politics out of City Hall. There is much bickering between Baumeister and Gibbons. Oliver says that Boston Police Department is not operating in the interest of the black community in the city. Timilty gives closing address, talks about type of city citizens want. Oliver closing address: vows to stand up against racism. Gibbons closing address: create neighborhoods for productive working class. White closing address: proud of his record in eight years as mayor. Talks about trying to balance the city fiscally. Ed Baumeister signs off.
- Evening Compass, The
- Boston Mayoral Debate
Boston Mayoral Debate
- Series Description
Premiered January 1974
The Evening Compass was a half-hour program airing Monday - Friday at 7 pm, repeated at 10:30. With co-anchormen Ed Baumeister and Louis Lyons, its purpose was to interpret news already reported elsewhere and to recognize, report and interpret news not reported elsewhere. Compass Specials were occasional broadcasts at other times that usually covered actual events as opportunities and resources permitted. Evening Compass incorporated the staff of Louis Lyons/News and Comment and The Reporters.
See Prime Time January and February 1974 for cover stories. Series release date: 1/2/1974
- Program Description
Boston Mayor Tom Menino and City Councilor Michael Flaherty square off in a live debate from JFK Library.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Race relations
- Timilty, Joseph F., 1938-
- White, Kevin H.
- DiGrazia, Robert J.
- School children
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Busing for school integration
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Stuart, Charles (Series Producer)
- Timilty, Joseph F., 1938- (Speaker)
- White, Kevin H. (Speaker)
- Griffith, Gary (Reporter)
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Baumeister, Ed (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Evening Compass, The; Boston Mayoral Debate; Boston Mayoral Debate,” 09/02/1975, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28BE473EAA7747699CBA58C79DE3D2C2.
- MLA: “Evening Compass, The; Boston Mayoral Debate; Boston Mayoral Debate.” 09/02/1975. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28BE473EAA7747699CBA58C79DE3D2C2>.
- APA: Evening Compass, The; Boston Mayoral Debate; Boston Mayoral Debate. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28BE473EAA7747699CBA58C79DE3D2C2