La Plaza; Last Concert from Santiago
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Last Concert from Santiago
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
This special showcases the final concert played by the New England Conservatory's Youth Philharmonic Orchestra during its 1993 cultural exchange tour to Chile. This program is the follow-up to La Plaza's "Symphonic Journey," which aired January 1994. The all-Tchaikovsky bill, performed by the YPO and its Chilean musical counterparts at Santiago's Teatro Municipal before an audience that included Chilean President Patricio Alywin, was conducted by YPO conductor Benjamin Zander. In this program, Zander discusses Tchaikovsky, his Symphony No. 5 and the experience of working with the young musicians on a nine-concert, seven-city sellout tour.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Last Concert from Santiago,” 02/11/1994, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 15, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28ADFDCA37864365B0F1B0F9D6F3613A.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Last Concert from Santiago.” 02/11/1994. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 15, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28ADFDCA37864365B0F1B0F9D6F3613A>.
- APA: La Plaza; Last Concert from Santiago. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_28ADFDCA37864365B0F1B0F9D6F3613A