Ten O'Clock News; School uniforms
Marcus Jones reports that Jack E. Robinson (President, National Association of Black Americans) is trying to get a voluntary school uniform program started in the Boston Public Schools. Jones notes that some schools have found that voluntary dress codes have led to better grades and behavior. He adds that opponents of school uniforms believe that they stifle creativity. Jones interviews Robinson about school uniforms. Jones reports that Robinson believes that students are more concerned about their clothes and possessions than they are about their studies. Jones quotes from a Boston Herald newspaper article about a nine-year old drug runner who impresses his friends with his clothes. Jones also interviews John Grady (Boston School Committee), Elizabeth Foley (Boston parent), and a Boston school child about school uniforms. Jones reviews some of the benefits to school uniforms.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School children
- Boston Herald Traveler Corporation
- School uniforms
- School children's clothing
- Dress codes
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; School uniforms,” 05/09/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_284256555CB74E4BACB603D7CE4A21E6.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; School uniforms.” 05/09/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_284256555CB74E4BACB603D7CE4A21E6>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; School uniforms. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_284256555CB74E4BACB603D7CE4A21E6