Martha Speaks; Martha Puts Out the Lights
Martha Puts Out the Lights, Part 1; Martha Puts Out the Lights, Part 2 MSPE 203 MI# 1123562 PBS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha Puts Out the Lights
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Parts 1 and 2 Broadcast on Same Day
Martha Puts Out the Lights, part 1
For Martha and the other dogs, Saturday night fireworks are the worst part of summer, and Mrs. Demson couldn't agree more. In fact, she's trying to get people to sign a petition to ban fireworks. Can Martha get enough signatures to make summer less scary for dogs? (1st of two parts)
(E) petition, illegal, cause, picket, goal, ban, protest
(I) sign, ask, on strike
Martha Puts Out the Lights, part 2
Helen and her friends are devastated about the fireworks ban. Martha realizes that she helped Mrs. Demson ruin their fun, but can she find a way to reverse the ban and still protect her sensitive ears? (2nd of two parts)
(E) purpose, signature, unite, majority, prohibit
(I) fireworks, summer, write, support
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha Puts Out the Lights,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_27438CB1E0F348DCAA1D20E8D0271BB1.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha Puts Out the Lights.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_27438CB1E0F348DCAA1D20E8D0271BB1>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha Puts Out the Lights. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_27438CB1E0F348DCAA1D20E8D0271BB1