Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Step Stool
Shaker-Inspired Step Stool Evaled Master Uncaptioned
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac
- Step Stool
- Program Number
- Series Description
ROUGH CUT - WOODWORKING WITH TOMMY MAC invites viewers into the world of respected furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, as he travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms. In each episode, MacDonald shares his skills and best practices, providing detailed project instructions for anyone interested in learning the basics of the craft. For the more experienced enthusiast, Tommy also showcases his more complex projects with advanced tips and techniques. Each half-hour includes three segments: "Basic Woodworking Techniques," "Weekend Projects" and "The Field Trip."
Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac is produced by WGBH Boston and distributed by American Public Television. Series release date: 10/2/2010
- Program Description
0102 – Shaker Step Stool/Alan Breed Episode 02 – Step Stool
A Shaker-inspired Step Stool is Tommy’s project on this episode of Rough Cut. This simple piece serves as the perfect introduction to woodworking, and throughout the episode Tommy explores the technique of making dovetails. For inspiration, he travels to Rollingsford, New Hampshire, and meets up with Allan Breed of the Breed School of Fine Woodworking. There, Allan shows Tommy his unique way of cutting dovetails, which involves holding the saw upside down. Upon returning to his shop, Tommy works with local woodworker Al D’Attanasio to explore varied techniques for making dovetails.
Resources: Marking Gauge Hand Saw Dead Blow Mallet Chisel
Field Trip: The Breed School, Rollingsford, NH
Questions and Answers: Fixing Dovetails
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Donnelly, Laurie (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Step Stool,” 08/09/2010, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_272048342B4241008E31FFF037C51C7D.
- MLA: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Step Stool.” 08/09/2010. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_272048342B4241008E31FFF037C51C7D>.
- APA: Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Step Stool. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_272048342B4241008E31FFF037C51C7D