Ten O'Clock News; Candidates on civil rights
Hope Kelly reports that Democratic candidates for governor Evelyn Murphy and Francis Bellotti talked about civil rights issues at the Boston Globe Forum on Civil Rights. While the candidates agreed on most of the issues, they disagreed about the death penalty. Murphy and Bellotti talk about minority set-asides, development in minority communities, and the civil rights bill in the state legislature. They also discuss their positions on death penalty. Bellotti talks about his participation in the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Reporters look bored, some reporters read the newspaper while the candidates talk. Kelly reports that many voters are not familiar with the civil rights records of either candidate. Interviews with people on the street, none of whom believe that either candidate has shown strong leadership in the area of civil rights.
- Ten O'Clock News
Candidates on civil rights
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Bellotti, Francis X.
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Capital punishment
- Civil rights
- Bills, Legislative
- Political campaigns
- Murphy, Evelyn F.
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Bellotti, Francis X. (Speaker)
- Murphy, Evelyn F. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Candidates on civil rights,” 08/07/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 7, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2502E44390C44BD8B1BD24EB6AC72B73.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Candidates on civil rights.” 08/07/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 7, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2502E44390C44BD8B1BD24EB6AC72B73>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Candidates on civil rights. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2502E44390C44BD8B1BD24EB6AC72B73