America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: American Smooth
WGBH HD Master, Captioned 80/ 24 PsF, 64/ 60i
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- America’s Ballroom Challenge
- America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: American Smooth
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered in 2006
Over the course of five weeks, top ballroom dancers compete at the world's largest ballroom dancing competition, in Columbus, Ohio. the series takes viewers onto the dance floor and behind the scenes as 24 couples compete for the ultimate dance title. Series release date: 2006
- Program Description
Picture Fred and Ginger gliding across the screen, sometimes together, sometimes apart, but always in perfect time. This is American Smooth. Adapted in America from the traditional standard dances of Europe, American Smooth includes four dances that are also performed in the International Standard: waltz, tango, foxtrot and Viennese waltz. While the Standard dancers must remain in contact throughout, American Smooth couples are allowed to separate, and even perform solo moves, before rejoining. This “open hold” gives them more creative freedom and leads to a distinctly different kind of expression than is seen in the International Standard style.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Event Coverage
- Moreno, Aida (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: American Smooth,” 01/30/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2501DC6923A04572858008524E4EF784.
- MLA: “America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: American Smooth.” 01/30/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2501DC6923A04572858008524E4EF784>.
- APA: America’s Ballroom Challenge; America’s Ballroom Challenge 2008: American Smooth. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2501DC6923A04572858008524E4EF784