Ten O'Clock News; David Duke at Ford Hall Forum
John Hashimoto reports on a visit to Boston by David Duke (Louisiana State Representative and former Ku Klux Klansman). Hashimoto notes that protesters turned out for Duke's speech at the Old South Meeting House. Hashimoto's report includes footage of protesters in front of the Old South Meeting House and footage of Duke's speech inside, which protesters try to drown out with chanting. Duke struggles to make himself heard above the jeers of protesters in the Meeting House. A scuffle breaks out between a protester and a Duke supporter. Hashimoto reports that Duke is trying to trying to overcome his past as a Ku Klux Klan leader, but that his white rights agenda was not well received during his visit to Boston. Hashimoto interviews Duke. Duke says that he has overcome his past and that he is not longer a "hater." Hashimoto reports that Duke answered questions from callers on a radio talk show while in Boston. Hashimoto's report includes footage of Duke speaking to callers in a radio studio. Duke defends himself against charges of racism. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Avi Nelson and Dianne Wilkerson talk about quotas and civil rights and Carmen Fields reports on the history and present activities of the Ku Klux Klan
- Ten O'Clock News
David Duke at Ford Hall Forum
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Freedom of speech
- White supremacy movements
- Radio stations
- Affirmative action programs
- Duke, David Ernest
- Race relations
- News Report
- Duke, David Ernest (Interviewee)
- Hashimoto, John (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; David Duke at Ford Hall Forum,” 03/28/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_25014FBEF30D480997A082FDE489551D.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; David Duke at Ford Hall Forum.” 03/28/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_25014FBEF30D480997A082FDE489551D>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; David Duke at Ford Hall Forum. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_25014FBEF30D480997A082FDE489551D