Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young on Bush
Deborah Wang reports that notes that Andrew Young (Mayor of Atlanta) was the keynote speaker at a gathering of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund gathered in Boston this evening. Wang notes that many members of the Legal Defense Fund are skeptical of President George Bush's commitment to civil rights; she adds that civil rights advocates are worried about Bush making conservative appointments to the judiciary. Wang interviews Young about Bush's presidency and his possible judicial appointments. Young says that Bush did not exhibit fairness and decency during the presidential campaign. Wang interviews Tom Franklin and Rona Kiley of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. Franklin and Kiley say that Bush is beholden to the conservative wing of the Republican Party. Wang reports that there will be several openings in lower courts and a possible opening on the Supreme Court during Bush's term in office. Wang's report is accompanied by footage of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund gathering, by footage of Bush giving a speech and by footage of Ronald Reagan standing by as a judge is sworn in.
- Ten O'Clock News
Andrew Young on Bush
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Young, Andrew, 1932-
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Reagan, Ronald
- Civil rights
- Political campaigns
- United States. Supreme Court
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- African American politicians
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854-)
- Bush, George, 1924-
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Young, Andrew, 1932- (Interviewee)
- Wang, Deborah (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young on Bush,” 11/15/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 27, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2216077B336E404C9043EA3A6C744943.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young on Bush.” 11/15/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 27, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2216077B336E404C9043EA3A6C744943>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young on Bush. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2216077B336E404C9043EA3A6C744943