Ten O'Clock News; Jobs Policy and Employment
Christopher Lydon reports that Mayor Ray Flynn is requesting the creation of a Boston Employment Commission in order to boost the number of Boston residents working in Boston jobs. The Flynn administration would like the Boston work force to be 10% female, 25% minority and 50% Boston residents. Interview with Flynn about employment in Boston. Interview with City Councilor James Kelly, who says that sanctions will be imposed unfairly on the construction industry. Interviews with Mel King and City Councilor Thomas Menino. Lydon notes that critics believe that compliance with the ordinance would cost jobs. Brief interviews with construction workers and white-collar workers about the proposed ordinance. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Minister Don Mohammad speaks out against drug traffic in Roxbury
- Ten O'Clock News
Jobs Policy and Employment
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- King, Mel
- Labor policy
- Menino, Thomas M., 1942-
- Civil rights
- Employment policy
- Municipal governments
- Construction industry
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Interviewee)
- Menino, Thomas M., 1942- (Interviewee)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Interviewee)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- King, Mel (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Jobs Policy and Employment,” 07/24/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 4, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_21C1F24A1F6E464C8E238992634FA84A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Jobs Policy and Employment.” 07/24/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 4, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_21C1F24A1F6E464C8E238992634FA84A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Jobs Policy and Employment. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_21C1F24A1F6E464C8E238992634FA84A