Mystery!; American Collection: Coyote Waits
American Mystery! Coyote Waits, Tape 1 of 2
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Collection: Coyote Waits
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered in 1980 -- offshoot of MASTERPIECE THEATRE. Showcase for the best of British drama in the mystery genre. Current producer, Rebecca Eaton. See individual episode titles for more information. Host: 1980: Gene Shalit; 1981-1989: Vincent Price; 1989-present: Diana Rigg Series release date: 1980
- Program Description
The title is taken from a traditional Navajo proverb: "Coyote is always out there waiting, and Coyote is always hungry." "Coyote Waits" opens with the tragic death of Chee's good friend and fellow officer Delbert Nez in a senseless roadside shooting. Chee, first on the scene, picks up the only suspect in sight: a liquored-up Navajo shaman named Ashie Pinto, who has the murder weapon under his belt. Although Pinto confesses to being "ashamed," he doesn't say anything else and he doesn't confess to the crime. Even so, the case against him is persuasive -- except Pinto happens to be a kinsman of Leaphorn's wife, Emma, who wants her husband to check out puzzling leads that may prove his innocence. Meanwhile, Chee is also investigating, convinced that he could have prevented Delbert's murder and is determined to reach closure in the case -- not to mention closure with Janet Pete, a public defender whose romantic interest in Chee is hampered by the fact that she is representing Pinto. The questions become all the more urgent as bodies mount and as the spirit of Coyote, the Navajo specter of evil, malice and chaos, awaits its next victim.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eaton, Rebecca (Producer)
- Chicago: “Mystery!; American Collection: Coyote Waits,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 26, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2053FCD566834D9F8F0FFE43FADFE13E.
- MLA: “Mystery!; American Collection: Coyote Waits.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 26, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2053FCD566834D9F8F0FFE43FADFE13E>.
- APA: Mystery!; American Collection: Coyote Waits. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2053FCD566834D9F8F0FFE43FADFE13E