Ten O'Clock News; AIDS insurance and minorities
Massachusetts has decided to allow businesses and insurance companies to test people for the AIDS antibody. Critics complain that the proposed policy favors insurance companies over patients. Paula Gold, Massachusetts Secretary of Consumer Affairs, speaks at a press conference. She says that testing will be allowed under limited circumstances and controlled conditions. The Urban League of Eastern Massachusetts is a strong opponent of the policy. Don Polk of the Urban League of Eastern Massachusetts speaks at a press conference. He condemns involuntary testing except for clear public health reasons. He believes that the policy does not contain appropriate measures to ensure patient confidentiality and is discriminatory against African American life insurance policy holders. He states that the proposed policy fails to take into account the discrepancy in life expectancy between African American AIDS victims and white AIDS victims. The Urban League believes that the new state policy de-emphasizes public health education campaigns, which are important in minority communities. Public health informational brochures and African Americans at a bus stop. Following the edited story is footage of public health education literature. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Boston City Council delays vote on school reform
- Ten O'Clock News
AIDS insurance and minorities
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Press conferences
- Public health
- News Report
- Crossley, Callie (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; AIDS insurance and minorities,” 08/03/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1F5C01F4D0984365B931DBC5A87878F9.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; AIDS insurance and minorities.” 08/03/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1F5C01F4D0984365B931DBC5A87878F9>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; AIDS insurance and minorities. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1F5C01F4D0984365B931DBC5A87878F9