Ten O'Clock News; Sullivan Stadium concerts
Marcus Jones reports that Michael Jackson has never played a concert at Sullivan Stadium. Jones notes that the Foxboro Board of Selectmen denied a request by Jackson to play two concerts at Sullivan Stadium in 1984. Jones reports that the permit was denied because of security and traffic concerns. Jones adds that former State Senator Royal Bolling, Sr. and others believe that the permit was denied on racial grounds. Jones' reports includes footage from a meeting of the Foxboro Board of Selectmen and footage of Bolling addressing a legislative hearing. Jones reports that Andrew Gala, the Foxboro town administrator and Michael Coppola, a Foxboro Selectman, deny that the permit was denied on racial grounds. Jones notes that Gala says that the Jackson tour denied the terms offered to them by Sullivan Stadium. Jones reports that there are bad feelings between the town of Foxboro and Chuck Sullivan, the organizer of Jackson's tour. Jones reports that big concerts bring in money to Foxboro. He notes that Jackson's most recent tour did not stop in Massachusetts. Jones' report is accompanied by concert footage of Michael Jackson, the Rolling Stones at Sullivan Stadium, and other musical acts. Following the edited story is additional silent b-roll of Sullivan Stadium. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Jan von Mehren reports that the city of Boston and the NAACP signed a $3 million settlement to end litigation about the city's formerly discriminatory public housing policy
- Ten O'Clock News
Sullivan Stadium concerts
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Rolling Stones
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002
- Jackson, Michael, 1958-2009
- Race relations
- African American musicians
- Foxboro (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Sullivan Stadium concerts,” 10/04/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1E981CCE5B70421AA69ED9E6695CAAB5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Sullivan Stadium concerts.” 10/04/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1E981CCE5B70421AA69ED9E6695CAAB5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Sullivan Stadium concerts. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1E981CCE5B70421AA69ED9E6695CAAB5