Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass
Evening Compass late edition newscast covering day 3 of Phase II desegregation in Boston Schools. Ed Baumeister summarizes events and report on school attendance figures. Pam Bullard reports that attendance figures show white students to be in the minority: Peter Meade (Mayor's Office) comments on racial makeup of the school system; Cardinal Medeiros (Archdiocese of Boston) comments on influx of Boston students to parochial schools to avoid busing. School officials comment on the opening of schools: Charles Leftwich (Associate Superintendent of Schools) reports a missing bus and problems with buses arriving late; Robert Donahue (Boston School Department) reports on registration for unassigned students; Frances Condon (Boston School Department) reports on kindergarten registration. Bullard interviews Thayer Fremont-Smith (Lawyer, Boston Home and School Association) about the court action to overturn forced busing. Fremont-Smith says that the court-ordered busing plan is too broad and will result in racially imbalanced schools as a result of declining white enrollment. Edwin Diamond (media critic) analyzes Boston Globe coverage of busing crisis with guests Mike McNamee (MIT student) and Robert Healy (Executive Editor, Boston Globe). Healy says that a local newspaper has to deal with the crisis differently than a national newspaper.
- Evening Compass, The
- Series Description
Premiered January 1974
The Evening Compass was a half-hour program airing Monday - Friday at 7 pm, repeated at 10:30. With co-anchormen Ed Baumeister and Louis Lyons, its purpose was to interpret news already reported elsewhere and to recognize, report and interpret news not reported elsewhere. Compass Specials were occasional broadcasts at other times that usually covered actual events as opportunities and resources permitted. Evening Compass incorporated the staff of Louis Lyons/News and Comment and The Reporters.
See Prime Time January and February 1974 for cover stories. Series release date: 1/2/1974
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race relations
- Medeiros, Humberto Sousa, 1915-
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- School attendance
- Busing for school integration
- Globe Newspaper Co.
- School integration
- Boston (Mass.)
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Stuart, Charles (Series Producer)
- Baumeister, Ed (Reporter)
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Medeiros, Humberto Sousa, 1915- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass,” 09/10/1975, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1E3FF9CEF2B94FD781177E8A8B2CAEC4.
- MLA: “Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass.” 09/10/1975. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1E3FF9CEF2B94FD781177E8A8B2CAEC4>.
- APA: Evening Compass, The; Evening Compass. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1E3FF9CEF2B94FD781177E8A8B2CAEC4