Ten O'Clock News; Phase III desegregation order
Press conference on the court-ordered plan for Phase III desegregation of the Boston Public Schools. Elvira "Pixie" Palladino (Boston School Committee), Charles Leftwich (Associate Superintendent, Boston Public Schools) and John Nucci (East Boston community activist) are among the interested parties and reporters in attendance. Attendees read over the court order. Robert Dentler (Dean of Education, Boston University) and Marvin Scott (Associate Dean of Education, Boston University) review the court order. They discuss efforts to desegregate Boston kindergartens. They announce the opening of the Mattahunt Elementary School and Madison Park High School. Smith and Dentler discuss the decision to close the McKinley School, the Storrow School and the Higginson Elementary School, because they remain segregated despite all efforts to integrate the student population.
- Ten O'Clock News
Phase III desegregation order
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Press conferences
- School management and organization
- School integration
- Busing for school integration
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Phase III desegregation order,” 05/06/1977, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 10, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1D9AE484F36946169FCC6DFC07F42286.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Phase III desegregation order.” 05/06/1977. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 10, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1D9AE484F36946169FCC6DFC07F42286>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Phase III desegregation order. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1D9AE484F36946169FCC6DFC07F42286