Ten O'Clock News; Census and redistricting
David Boeri reports that the state of Massachusetts has lost a seat in the US House of Representatives because of a decline in the population according to the 1990 census. Mayor Ray Flynn and others are calling for a recount because they believe that the census undercounts urban residents. Footage of census workers going from door to door. Boeri reports on speculation that Congressman Joe Early may retire and on speculation that a redistricting plan would force Congressmen Chester Atkins and Barney Frank to run against one another. Governor William Weld has proposed a redistricting plan under which the city of Boston is represented by one congressman. Interview with State Rep. Peter Forman, who says that suburban areas are unfairly represented and that the city of Boston would represent a "minority seat." Interview with State Rep. Jim Brett, who discusses options for possible redistricting plans. Boeri reports that the proposal to limit Boston to one Congressional seat will probably fail.
- Ten O'Clock News
Census and redistricting
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Weld, William F.
- Atkins, Chester G.
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Election law
- Forman, Peter, 1958-
- Legislators -- United States
- Brett, James T., 1949-
- Early, Joseph D., 1933-2012
- Federal government
- Frank, Barney, 1940-
- Beacon Hill (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Forman, Peter, 1958- (Interviewee)
- Brett, James T., 1949- (Interviewee)
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Census and redistricting,” 12/27/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1D457041788740FA9F9B83236CC68DE0.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Census and redistricting.” 12/27/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1D457041788740FA9F9B83236CC68DE0>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Census and redistricting. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1D457041788740FA9F9B83236CC68DE0