Ten O'Clock News; Judge Arthur Garrity, Part 1
W. Arthur Garrity (federal judge) speaks at a meeting of the Citywide Educational Coalition (CWEC). Jane Margulis (CWEC) introduces Garrity. Laval Wilson (Superintendent, Boston Public Schools), Sidney Smith (Headmaster, English High School), and Ellen Guiney (CWEC) sit on stage. Garrity talks about his efforts to wrap up the school desegregation case. He says that there are a few lingering matters to be handled before he withdraws. Garrity thanks the CWEC for providing factual and reliable information about school desegregation. Garrity talks about a "sea of misinformation" surrounding school desegregation. He refutes rumors that he was involved in hiring teachers and buying supplies. Garrity compliments John Coakley (Boston School Department) on his career in the Boston School Department; he mentions Coakley's integrity and dedication to his job. Garrity sums up the challenges facing the Boston Public Schools; he says that school integration is an ongoing process. Reel 1
- Ten O'Clock News
Judge Arthur Garrity, Part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- School integration
- Garrity, W. Arthur (Wendell Arthur), 1920-1999
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Garrity, W. Arthur (Wendell Arthur), 1920-1999 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Judge Arthur Garrity, Part 1,” 09/23/1985, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1CCC9BB8AAA7452CA270A619B021E90F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Judge Arthur Garrity, Part 1.” 09/23/1985. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1CCC9BB8AAA7452CA270A619B021E90F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Judge Arthur Garrity, Part 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1CCC9BB8AAA7452CA270A619B021E90F