Evening at Pops; Swingin' At The Pops
Evening at Pops 1999 Swingin’ at the Pops with Ann Hampton Callaway / Five O’clock Shadow / Jivin’ Lindy Hoppers
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Evening at Pops
- Swingin' At The Pops
- Program Number
- Series Description
Taped shows of the Boston Pops. First telecast on WGBH in June 1957; Arthur Fiedler conducting at MIT Kresge Auditorium. Premiered nationally July 5, 1970, performances at Symphony Hall. Series release date: 1970
- Program Description
Public television audiences can put on their “zoot suits” and wing-tip alligator shoes to catch the latest retro-dance craze with Swingin' at the Pops. Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra lead off this celebration of the Swing era from the 1940s to the present with special guest singer/songwriter Ann Hampton Callaway performing selections from her wide repertoire of toe-tapping pop and jazz tunes. They are joined by The Jivin' Lindy Hoppers, an award-winning jazz dance company based in London. Symphony Hall shimmies and shakes with the dancers' breathtaking performance of the Lindy Hop. The show also introduces Five O'Clock Shadow, an all-male a cappella group from Boston. In the spirit of the Big Band era, principal members of the Orchestra step into the spotlight throughout the evening to showcase their soloist talents and pay homage to Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman, and other big band and swing legends from the past.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Performance for a Live Audience
- Dangel, Susan (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Evening at Pops; Swingin' At The Pops,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1BA7A828512F423B9625716CD5696B2B.
- MLA: “Evening at Pops; Swingin' At The Pops.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1BA7A828512F423B9625716CD5696B2B>.
- APA: Evening at Pops; Swingin' At The Pops. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1BA7A828512F423B9625716CD5696B2B