Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Comfortable Lies, Bitter Truths
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith
- Comfortable Lies, Bitter Truths
- Program Number
- Series Description
Broadcast April-May 1990.
Hedrick Smith is chief correspondent on this production which focuses on the cultural, economic and political issues in the Soviet Union today. A behind-the-scenes look at a complex country puts today’s news into the context of larger forces- social, economic, cultural and demographic- that shape the USSR’s identity and destiny. Series release date: 4/30/1990
- Program Description
Perhaps the most radical reform instrument in the USSR is glasnost, the open circulation of truthful information and unorthodox ideas. This episode takes viewers behind the scenes of the glasnost path breakers in areas where government controls were once rigidly applied--on Soviet television, newspaper reporting, documentary cinema and even the high school classroom.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Global Affairs
- Smith, Martin (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Comfortable Lies, Bitter Truths,” 04/04/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1A211E0D761E44829638288B00BF9250.
- MLA: “Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Comfortable Lies, Bitter Truths.” 04/04/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1A211E0D761E44829638288B00BF9250>.
- APA: Inside Gorbachev's USSR with Hedrick Smith; Comfortable Lies, Bitter Truths. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1A211E0D761E44829638288B00BF9250