La Plaza; FORGOTTEN PEOPLE: LATINAS WITH AIDS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- FORGOTTEN PEOPLE: LATINAS WITH AIDS
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
32 year-old Damaris of New Jersey has it all: a husband, a job, a home, a family, and now she has HIV. In Chicago, Luisa Amaro faces a grim future after finding out that her three adult daughters have tested positive for HIV. In Los Angeles, 26 year-old Sari, her husband and their two-year old son are all infected. This special report examines the devastating consequences of the epidemic and the implications of IV drug use as it relates to the spread of HIV infection among Latinas with Aids.
First broadcast in 1991.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; FORGOTTEN PEOPLE: LATINAS WITH AIDS,” 12/12/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 28, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_19EF3446ECC24E5F8C4FE19EE877FEC7.
- MLA: “La Plaza; FORGOTTEN PEOPLE: LATINAS WITH AIDS.” 12/12/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 28, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_19EF3446ECC24E5F8C4FE19EE877FEC7>.
- APA: La Plaza; FORGOTTEN PEOPLE: LATINAS WITH AIDS. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_19EF3446ECC24E5F8C4FE19EE877FEC7