Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Barley Twist Lamp
Rough Cut Ep 303 Barley Twist Lamp
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac
- Barley Twist Lamp
- Program Number
- Series Description
ROUGH CUT - WOODWORKING WITH TOMMY MAC invites viewers into the world of respected furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, as he travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms. In each episode, MacDonald shares his skills and best practices, providing detailed project instructions for anyone interested in learning the basics of the craft. For the more experienced enthusiast, Tommy also showcases his more complex projects with advanced tips and techniques. Each half-hour includes three segments: "Basic Woodworking Techniques," "Weekend Projects" and "The Field Trip."
Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac is produced by WGBH Boston and distributed by American Public Television. Series release date: 10/2/2010
- Program Description
On this Rough Cut episode, Tommy tackles the difficult technique of off-set turning on a lathe when he makes the unique Barley Twist Lamp. The lamp is made out of beautiful mahogany and topped off with a specially made glass top designed and created just for this project. For the Road Trip, Tommy visits his good friend, glassblower, Niels Cosman at his Rhode Island School of Design studio. Niels will make a special appearance back at the Rough Cut shop when he personally delivers the finished lampshade to Tommy.
Resources: Table Saw Lathe Bench Chisels Back Saw Rasp
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Donnelly, Laurie (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Barley Twist Lamp,” 08/27/2012, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_16E9989F8ACB424D998816E40BB391A6.
- MLA: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Barley Twist Lamp.” 08/27/2012. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_16E9989F8ACB424D998816E40BB391A6>.
- APA: Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Barley Twist Lamp. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_16E9989F8ACB424D998816E40BB391A6