Ten O'Clock News; Rowing / racism controversy
Hope Kelly reports on charges of racism against the Boston Irish Rowing Club. Larry Otway, President of St. Brendan's Rowing Club of New York said that he was discouraged from bringing African American rowers to compete against the Boston Irish Rowing Club in South Boston. Otway later rescinded his accusations. Mayor Ray Flynn holds a press conference to cite progress in fighting racism across the city. Flynn, William Geary, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan District Commission, City Councilor Bruce Bolling, John Joyce, the President of Boston Irish Rowing Club, and Otway speak at the press conference. Joyce denies any discriminatory practices on the part of the Boston Irish Rowing Club. Andrew Jones and Curtis David of the Greater Roxbury Incorporation Project hold a rival press conference in front of the L Street Bath House in South Boston, spekaing out against racism Jerry Cullitary (South Boston resident) defends South Boston against charges of racism. Interview with Susan Moir, a South Boston resident, about racism in South Boston. People rowing in curraghs on Pleasure Bay.
- Ten O'Clock News
Rowing / racism controversy
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- L Street Bath House (South Boston, Boston, Mass.)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Press conferences
- Civil rights
- Race relations
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Rowing / racism controversy,” 05/22/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_15DC1A5158B94868B5B2C52D190A640B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Rowing / racism controversy.” 05/22/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_15DC1A5158B94868B5B2C52D190A640B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Rowing / racism controversy. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_15DC1A5158B94868B5B2C52D190A640B