Ten O'Clock News; School Committee favor student assignments
Hope Kelly reports that the Boston School Committee voted to restructure the student assignment system in the Boston Public Schools. She notes that the rigid geocode assignment system will be eliminated. School Committee members Thomas O'Reilly and Juanita Wade drafted a general plan that was accepted by the Committee. Some Committee members had reservations about the plan. Footage of the Boston School Committee meeting. Committee member John Nucci superintendent Dr. Laval Wilson speak out in favor of the plan. Committee member Jean McGuire criticizes the plan. Interview with Committee member John O'Bryant, who cautions the Committee not to act hastily. The members of the Committee vote on the plan. Three of the four minority members of the Committee voted against the plan. Interview with Wilson about the plan. Wilson says that he will work to resolve the concerns of Committee members who voted against the plan. The specifics of the plan have yet to be decided.
- Ten O'Clock News
School Committee favor student assignments
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School boards
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- School choice
- School management and organization
- School superintendents
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; School Committee favor student assignments,” 12/28/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1544F3C6B2594E7C8253920B44C0B8C3.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; School Committee favor student assignments.” 12/28/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1544F3C6B2594E7C8253920B44C0B8C3>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; School Committee favor student assignments. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1544F3C6B2594E7C8253920B44C0B8C3