Ten O'Clock News; Brooke concession speech
Senator Edward Brooke concedes the Senate race to Paul Tsongas in the ballroom of the Copley Plaza Hotel. With him on the stage are supporters including State Sen. William Owens, his mother Helen Brooke, community leader Elma Lewis, and campaign field director Thomas Trimarco. Sharon Stevens reports from behind the cheering crowd, anticipating Brooke's speech; Natalie Jacobson (WCVB reporter) is on the stage, waiting to interview Brooke after the speech. Brooke thanks the crowd, his family, and his campaign staff. Brooke congratulates Tsongas for waging an honorable campaign. Brooke says that he will do his best to assure the smooth transition of the Senate seat and that he continues to support full equality and justice for all. Brooke thanks voters for giving him the opportunity to have served as both State Attorney General and US Senator and assures those who did not vote for him that he has no bitterness toward them. Brooke shakes hands and answers questions from the press as he slowly makes his way off stage surrounded by an entourage. B-roll of Brooke supporters in ballroom after the speech.
- Ten O'Clock News
Brooke concession speech
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Brooke, Edward William, 1919-
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- African American politicians
- Lewis, Elma
- Legislators -- United States
- Tsongas, Paul
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Brooke, Edward William, 1919- (Speaker)
- Stevens, Sharon (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Brooke concession speech,” 11/07/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1520BFDF38CA405ABF54293513AB95BF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Brooke concession speech.” 11/07/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1520BFDF38CA405ABF54293513AB95BF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Brooke concession speech. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1520BFDF38CA405ABF54293513AB95BF